The Dorr house was built by Clara Barkley Dorr in 1871 during a time of economic prosperity in Pensacola. This prosperity was partly the result of a thriving lumbering industry. Currently interpreted as a Victorian era family home in Pensacola after the Civil War, the home is an example of Greek Revival architecture in west Florida. The house is included in the guided tour of Historic Pensacola.
The Clara Barkley Dorr House stands on its original location, facing historic Seville Square. Located at 311 South Adams Street, Clara Barkley Dorr had the house built in 1871 for her and her five children. The architect and builder are unknown. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in October of 1974, the Historic Pensacola Preservation Board purchased the property in 1975. As a post Civil War era home, the Clara Barkley Dorr House provides a contrast to the 1805 Lavalle House and the 1890 Lear-Rocheblave House.
The Dorr House is located on its original site and demonstrates Greek or Classical Revival features, a style out-of-date in other parts of the country by the 1870s. This is curious because by this time, builders were adopting Gothic Revival and Victorian styles. Classical Revival styles peaked decades earlier. The house also represents some of the area’s natural resources and industries, namely yellow pine lumber and bricks. It is the best preserved example of post Civil War Classical Revival architecture in the Pensacola Historic District.