The Historic Pensacola Ambassador program is a volunteer corps of individuals who give of their time and talents to help sustain our mission.
The opportunities are numerous at the University of West Florida Historic Trust—from living history to archival collections. Do you love talking with people? Why not volunteer at one of our museum locations. Do you love researching the history of our city? Why not volunteer in our research room assisting patrons in their research. Or, is cataloging collections more your desire? Our Hilton-Green Research Room has many opportunities for those who love tangible history—the papers, the books, and the everyday items that soon become a part of history.
You give us your time and we will give you the history of our city. Do you have one day a week, a month? Whatever time you have available, we have a place for you. Snowbirds welcome.
Join our volunteer ranks, and make new friends in the process.
Collections Volunteer Needed
The collections volunteer will assist the curatorial staff, and will have the opportunity to learn about the Historic Trust's operations and mission by assisting with collections management functions in Historic Pensacola. This volunteer position is a hands-on introduction to collections work. The primary duties of the collections volunteer will be to learn aspects of the cataloging, handling, documentation, storage, and care of artifacts from the organization's collection. The collections volunteer will have the opportunity to learn aspects of the organization's collections management software (PastPerfect).
- Desired Qualifications include: interest in pursuing a career in the museum field; ability to pay attention to detail and follow specific instructions; comfort in using computers and a general proficiency in MS Office, database, and photo editing software; ability to work carefully with artifacts and an interest in researching the history of artifacts as well as local, national, and international personalities; some knowledge of the history of Pensacola and the Gulf Coast/Northwest Florida region is recommended. Willingness to complete some recommended readings about the history of the area prior to the start of the volunteer position would also be desirable
- To apply: Email a cover letter describing your interest and experience (up to 500 words), resume, and contact information for two references, including email address and phone number to Lowell Bassett
Upcoming Volunteer Information Sessions
- Tuesday, September 19 at 5:00-6:00 p.m. in the Voices of Pensacola, 117 East Government Street
- Tuesday, October 17 at 1:00-2:00 p.m. in the Wentworth Museum, 330 South Jefferson Street
- Tuesday, November 21 at 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the Museum of Commerce, 201 East Zaragoza Street
- Tuesday, December 19 at 5:00-6:00 p.m. in the Wentworth Museum, 330 South Jefferson Street
Stop in to learn more about our volunteer opportunities. Bring a friend and you and the friend receive a 20% coupon for our museum stores.
If you are interested in joining the Historic Pensacola Ambassadors program, please fill out and submit the form below. Thank you!