A community initiative of the UWF Historic Trust to display historically significant photographic murals throughout downtown Pensacola for residents and tourists of all ages to learn about the illustrious history of our great city.

To date, POP:Murals has approved six murals, of which five are currently installed with one underway. The murals and locations are as follows:


Blount Building, 1 Palafox Place
The L&N Passenger Station, 1910

The L&N Passenger station built circa 1881 stood at the northeast corner of Tarragona and Wright streets. In 1898 the station welcomed Colonel Theodore Roosevelt and one-hundred and seventy of his Rough Riders en route to the Spanish-American War. In 1913 this station was replaced with the new L&N Depot located at Wright and Alcaniz streets. 

Sponsored by the Switzer Family


Voices of Pensacola, 117 East Government Street
Port of Pensacola, 1903

Welcoming us into a snapshot of Pensacola’s twentieth-century port, this panoramic provides the viewer with an insight into the bustling enterprise of industry.  As the Gulf of Mexico’s only deep-water port, Pensacola has welcomed a diverse population of ships.  Our deep waters created an environment for booming industries like fishing and lumbering.

Grant funded through The National Park Service


Museum of Commerce, 201 Zaragoza Street
A View of Pensacola in West Florida, George Gauld, ca.1765

The maritime history of Pensacola is epitomized in this 1765 view of Pensacola by George Gauld. The original engraving is archived at the Library of Congress. This colorized version by local artist, Dave Edwards, was commissioned by the University of West Florida Archaeology Institute. 

Grant funded through The National Park Service


Seville Tower, 226 South Palafox Street
Pensacola Wharf, c. 1890.  Watercolor painting by Herbert Rudeen

The watercolor was comissioned by Mr. & Mrs. Burney M. Henderson.  The ships in the painting are named after his wife and two daughters "Elizabeth" Katherine" and "Jane." "Bagdad" after donor family's area of business, Bagdad Land & Lumber Co. 

Sponsored by Henderson’s grandsons; Collier, Burney and Will Merrill


Regions Bank, 70 North Baylen Street
San Carlos Hotel, 1910

The San Carlos hotel, nicknamed “Gray Lady” due to its pearly-gray stucco exterior, sat at the corner of Palafox and Garden Streets.  Built with over 150 rooms, she underwent an expansion in 1927 which brought the room total to over 500.  Sadly, the Gray Lady closed in 1982, then demolished in 1993 due to deterioration.

Sponsored by Regions Bank


Isis Theatre Building, 4 North Palafox Street

Coming soon

Sponsored by IRIS: Intelligent Retinal Imaging Systems